How This Works

📘 Simply find the title link inside each synopsis and click.
You will either be sent to a PDF link or a site where the novel is served.

📘
"If (as you are intently perusing the linked novels and/or other content located on this blog) you encounter a broken link, please comment as such on the post so I can try to rectify the issue or remove the post completely. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration." ~ Victor Hubress
📘 Most Summary Information Sourced From Wikipedia

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Witty Wordsmiths 82



“It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!”

~ Friedrich Nietzsche




Who said philosophers cannot have a sense of humor? Nietzsche's quote is funny on two levels: firstly, anyone who is worth anything will demand reasons or proof for your opinions if they desire to change their own way of thinking about a subject—a logical thought pattern with logical assumptions and conclusions; secondly, the quotation actually pokes fun at philosophers because most of the time it is impossible to prove their theories because they are not tangible, testable theories. So bravo, Mr. Philosopher, you can take a joke.
    I would also like to note that I detest the word “opinion.” This hatred stems from the all to obvious phrase returned to me on countless occasions during a volley of thoughts and ideas: “It's only your opinion,” usually followed by some variation of “It doesn't mean it's right.” Of course it doesn't mean my view(s) is(are) right, because I wouldn't be having a discussion if I thought I was completely right or an authority on a subject, I would just state the correct response and leave it there. Also, if I'm saying something analytical than I know it's my opinion; however, the main reason I hate the word is because nothing, literally nothing I state (aside from which cola I prefer, but even this view is backed with reasons) in an academic or analytical vain  is not thoroughly researched, pondered, wrestled with, or constantly questioned. What I choose to offer to a discussion is simply my latest conclusion, arrived at through painstakingly personal evaluation and sacrifice. 
    So if someone offers reason, logic, maybe even a little bit of evidence, do not simply dismiss their views as mere “opinion” because you do not agree with the bulk of their argument: recognize their efforts by labeling their thought or idea as a “view,” “perspective,” or if your feeling really generous, as "theory."

No comments:

Post a Comment