How This Works

📘 Simply find the title link inside each synopsis and click.
You will either be sent to a PDF link or a site where the novel is served.

📘
"If (as you are intently perusing the linked novels and/or other content located on this blog) you encounter a broken link, please comment as such on the post so I can try to rectify the issue or remove the post completely. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration." ~ Victor Hubress
📘 Most Summary Information Sourced From Wikipedia

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Witty Wordsmiths 98








“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.”

~ Terry Pratchett





I know this man is dearly loved and missed by many, so I will tread lightly as I write my thoughts about this quote, but I really don't think anything I say could tarnish the legend of this great man and author. His novels, the Discworld series, are iconic, not just for their amazing storytelling, eccentric and quirky characters, or the humorous views of fantasy novels and their tropes; they are iconic because his words, every single sentence, have deeply spoken to three generations of readers, and will eventually speak to future generations in the same manner.
     I remember when I first came across one of his novels, The Light Fantastic, given to me by my literary-inspiring aunt. The book was thick, and the words were small, but the cover was just so darn interesting: a wizard, flying through the air, or being propelled by some other force, on a large trunk-like creature with numerous little feet on both sides, surrounded by strange-looking men and women-like creatures—a cover that is still etched in my memory to this day. I tried reading it immediately, but at the age of nine the novel proved too confusing and complicated; however, the cover forced me to keep the novel on my bookshelf, always compelling me to pick it up to stare at it. I often tried to read it again during that year, but to no avail. It wasn't until three years later, when I was twelve, that I finally read it cover to cover, and I loved it. I didn't get many of the jokes or the situations (it wasn't until I reread it as an adult—and this time I laughed almost every page—that I understood why it was so strange and difficult for me to read as a young boy). When I first read it, I probably didn't even realize there were jokes being told, but something told me, years ago, that I would eventually read the book, and I had been determined to get through it.
     Just like that cover, and those interesting characters, his words spew honesty and harsh truths at times, but they form together in such a way as to leave us with a little tingle, as if we were sprinkled with stardust and are still reeling from the experience. In this quotation, he speaks another hard truth, a truth about our appearances and how people judge these appearances, and if we aren't careful, we could fall short of judging others as well, and possibly end up owning a cat.
     Well, I guess I pre-judged my writing too, because I think any fan will approve these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment